I'm sure that eventually we'll have a theme/imagery competition like on other .SE sites, but what sorts of elements of those do we as a community want to see? I'm sure we'll get better results if those artists know the thoughts of the community.
Some components of this question:
- Do we want our imagery to feature and evoke real robots, sci-fi robots, or both? Sci-fi imagery might invite people to tread on scifi.SE, as well as lending a more enthusiast vs professional air to the site. However, lots of us got into robotics in some part due to the awesome-factor of sci-fi's robots, and it seems like we should be capturing that enthusiasm as well as the professionalism.
- What kinds of robots do we want our imagery to feature and evoke? Are military/combat/battlebots style robots going to be off-putting?
- Will FIRST, VEX, and Lego Robotics and their analogs look too amateur?
- Do we want kit robots? PR2-like enterprise models?
- How will our imagery distinguish us from programming, electronics, and mechanical SE sites? Obviously, those are major components of what we do, but mostly in concert. We're a site for questions about programming with regards to motor control, not just programming, etc. How will we use our imagery to support that understanding?